Monday, October 20, 2008

What's for Dinner?




Eating raw does funny things to my appetite. One day I'll eat a field's worth of greens. The next I'll pick at stuff. This evening, the only thing I was craving was some raw hummus and flax crackers. The crackers I made last night by mixing gold and brown flax seeds, sea salt, and a pureed mix of orange pepper, scallions and some Nama Shoyu. The no bean/no nut hummus is props to Matt Amsden and his fantastic recipe book "RAWvolution."


Matt Amsden's No-Bean Hummus
  • 2 zucchini, peeled
  • 3/4 cup raw tahini
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled (I added more, but I'm of the mind that there's no such thing as too much garlic)
  • 2.5 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin

Throw all the ingredients into a food processor or blender, blend at high speed until creamy and smooth. Serve with flax crackers, veggies, as a sandwich spread, salad dressing...the possibilities are endless. I crowned mine with some fresh watercress, a radish and some paprika.

This was a great treat, because sometimes I just need to get away from the heaviness of beans and nuts.

xo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

don't be hatin' on the garbanzos. we love love.

Vee said...

I don't be hatin' on garbanzos. I just be lovin' on zucchini.